Hi, Welcome all on the Fast French Learning blog, to Learn and Improve your French
In this article, you are going to learn 4 colloquial FRENCH expressions that the native French people uses in their daily life. Let’s go !
1 – Etre accro
It comes from the verb accrocher
Accrocher = to hang / to hook
Accrocher → accro
- We use that colloquial French expresions to show that someone is addicted to something : tobacco, alcohol, drugs,…
Il est accro à la cigarette
He is addicted to cigarettes
Je suis accro à la bière
I am addicted to beer
- We can use it as well to say « to be passionate about something ».
Elle est accro à la gymnastique
She is addicted to gymnastic
Vous êtes accro à la marche en montagne
You are addicted to mountain walking
- We can use it as well to say « being in love ».
Il est accro de Natacha
He si in love with Natacha
Elle est accro de Fabrice
She is in love with Fabrice
2 – Il est lourd
Lourd means heavy.
- But when we say that someone is lourd, it means that he is annoying, he is boring.
Il est lourd, il n’arrête pas de crier
He is annoying, he does not stop screaming
Vous êtes lourds, arrêtez de faire du bruit
You are boring, please, stop making noise
- We can use it as well when someone makes a bad joke and when he is insisting.
Tu es lourd, arrêtes avec tes blagues !
You are annoying, stop with your jokes !
3 – Etre à la bourre
Etre à la bourre = to be late
Je suis à la bourre
I am late
Vous êtes à la bourre, dépêchez-vous !
You are late, hurry up !
Il est toujours à la bourre quand il va à la piscine
He is always late when he goes to the swimming pool
4 – C’est (du) bidon
This French expression has nothing to do with the word bidon which means « can ».
Un bidon d’essence = a can of gasoline
- We use that expression c’est bidon or c’est du bidon to say that somemthig is fake, has no value.
Ce que tu dis, c’est du bidon
What you are saying is fake
Je ne te crois pas, ton histoire c’est bidon
I do not believe you, it is fake
I hope you enjoyed to learn these 4 colloquial FRENCH expressions, they will be useful for your next trip to Paris
Write a comment to tell me what you think of this article and share with others !
Thank you for reading it 🙂
Here are others articles to go further in your FRENCH learning journey :